9THCD LOCALITIES: Alleghany County, Bland County, Bristol City, Buchanan County, Carroll County, Covington City, Craig County, Dickenson County, Floyd County, Galax City, Giles County, Grayson County, Henry County (part), Lee County, Martinsville City, Montgomery County, Norton City, Patrick County, Pulaski County, Radford City, Roanoke County (part), Russell County, Salem City, Scott County, Smyth County, Tazewell County, Washington County, Wise County, Wythe County
We have an opportunity to elect a Democrat to the US House of Representatives in 2018. How can you help?
Fortunately our two US Senators are Democrats, Sen. Tim Kaine, and Sen. Mark Warner.
Article I, section 3 of the Constitution requires the Senate to be divided into three classes for purposes of elections. Senators are elected to six-year terms, and every two years the members of one class—approximately one-third of the senators—face election or reelection. Terms for senators in Class I expire in 2019 (Kaine), Class II in 2021 (Warner), and Class III in 2023.
The 9th Congressional District is currently represented by Republican Congressman H. Morgan “Morgan” Griffith, first elected 2010. Since 1955 the 9th District has been represented by four Congressman, 2 Democrats (Jennings 1955-1967, Boucher 1983-2011), and 2 Republicans (Wampler 1967-1983, Griffith 2011-present). We are putting the ‘Fight Back in the 9th’, electing people (Democrats) to office who will truly work for the benefit of residents of the 9th.
We will choose our Democratic nominee for the House of Representatives in a primary on Tuesday, June 12, 2018, and after the results are in we pledge to all work together to elect our candidate. So far two candidates have officially filed to run for the Democratic nomination and a number of others have expressed a serious interest. Check back for updates.
Officially filed candidate for the Democratic nomination for VA 9th Congressional District US House of Representative, click here
House and Senate contact information for the 9th District
- Washington, DC Office, 703 Hart Senate Office Building, Washington, DC 20510, (202) 224-2023
- Abingdon Office, 180 West Main Street,Room 235, Abingdon, VA 24210, (276) 628-8158
- Roanoke Office, 110 Kirk Avenue, SW, Roanoke, VA 24011, (540) 857-2676
- Washington, DC Office, 231 Russell Senate Office Building, Washington, D.C. 20510, (202) 224-4024
- Abingdon Office, 121 Russell Road, Suite 2, Abingdon, VA 24210, (276) 525-4790
- Roanoke Office, 611 S. Jefferson Street, Suite 5B, Roanoke, VA 24011, (540) 682-5693
- Washington, DC Office, 2202 Rayburn HOB, Washington, D.C. 20515, (202) 225-3861
- Abingdon District Office, 323 West Main Street, Abingdon, VA 24210, (276) 525-1405
- Christiansburg District Office, 17 West Main Street, Christiansburg, VA 24073, (540) 381-5671
- Big Stone Gap Office, Federal Courthouse, Big Stone Gap, VA 24219, (276) 525-1405 – By Appointment Only
Run for office?
We’re looking for folks interested in running for Congress in the 9th District as well as candidates for office at any level.
If you’ve reached a point that you are ready to make a difference in elected office we want to hear from you.
Please include all of your contact information and a resume.