Pursuant to the authority provided by the Virginia Democratic Party Plan, the Ninth Congressional District Democratic Committee (“District Committee”) hereby calls a meeting to be held at 10:00 a.m. on Saturday, December 12th, at the following location:
Smyth-Bland Regional Library 118 S Sheffey St, Marion, VA 24354
Doors will open at 9:45am.
II. Incorporated Documents
All appropriate provisions of the Virginia Democratic Party Plan (“State Party Plan”), as amended. The State Party Plan and guidelines are incorporated into this call by reference and made a part hereof.
III. Purposes of the Meeting shall be:
- To fill the female seat (female, four-year) on the 9th District Committee left vacant by the recent passing of Sherry Lee Wilson.
- To vote on the two male and two female at-large member positions on the 9th District Committee, as provided in Secton 6.2 of the party plan.
- To conduct such other business as may properly come before the meeting.
IV. Voting Members
Only those individuals who currently serve as members of the 9th Congressional District Democratic Committee shall be permitted to vote on the election to fill both the vacant seat and the at-large member positions.
V. Participation and Outreach
The meeting of the Ninth District Democratic Committee Meeting will be open to all interested parties, though only current 9th CD Committee members will be permitted to vote on matters of business before the committee. All meetings shall be open to all members of the Democratic Party regardless of race, sex, age, color, creed, national origin, religion, ethnic identity, sexual orientation, economic status, or disability, and all meetings shall be publicized fully.
The 9th Congressional District Committee and local committees within the 9th Congressional District should encourage full participation by all Democrats in the State Central Committee election process, including notice, publicity and education programs. Such outreach should be directed to all Democratic constituencies, including groups such as ethnic minorities, young people, persons over 65 years of age, lesbians and gay men, persons with a high school education or less, persons with disabilities, and persons of low and moderate income.
VI. Election of Members of the State Central Committee
- Method – Nominees for Central Committee shall be elected by a simple plurality of all 9th District Committee members present on the day of the meeting on December 12th. In the event of votes on the at-large positions for two male and two female candidates the top two vote getters shall be considered elected. In the event of the vote to fill the vacant seat left by Sherry Lee Wilson, the top vote getter shall be considered elected. In the event of a tie vote, the winner shall be decided by drawing of lots.
- Nomination – Candidates seeking to run may indicate interest by emailing the chair of the 9th District Committee prior to the date of the meeting, using the email address Isaac.Sarver@gmail.com. Nominations will also be accepted from the floor on the day of the meeting. Blank paper ballots will be offered on the day of the election to all members of the 9th District Committee, both for the vacant seat left by Sherry Lee Wilson and the at-large positions.